Wednesday, August 20, 2014

AT in Schools...

Mark did great today...it's good to "work" early when he is fresh and lively!

Ran into Mark's Life Skills teacher today at Walmart...gave her the address for this blog!  I hope she tunes in ...which reminds me that I am going to send a link to the blog to Mark's Special Ed. teacher too...

There was a group of teachers that went down to Boise this summer for a 2 day conference on Assistive Technology...I hope that there will be more AT integrated into coursework for students with disabilities....at the conference in Syracuse, one of the presentations I attended was about a school in Maryland.  There were 5 students that used supported typing.  I believe they had been taught privately.  The parents urged the school to use the supported typing at school.  These boys were young, I would say 9-11 years old...the parapros at the school were each trained in supported typing and then all the boys were fully included into their classrooms with their peers!  Prior to this, they had all been segregated to special education classrooms...it is so nice to hear a story with a happy ending!!!






No comments:

Post a Comment